A manual backup, whether it was created with certutil or the CA console, can be restored by using the CA console, as follows:
1. From the Start menu, point to Administrative Tools and click Certification Authority.
2. In the console tree, click CAName.
3. In the console tree, right-click CAName, point to All Tasks and click Restore CA.
4. In the Certification Authority Restore Wizard, click OK to stop Certificate Services during the restore procedure.
5. On the Welcome to the Certification Authority Restore Wizard page, click Next.
6. On the Items to Restore page, enable the Certificate Database and Certificate Database Log check box. If required, enable the Private key and CA certificate check box, and click Browse.
7. In the Browse for Folder dialog box, select the folder that contains the manual backup files and click OK.
8. On the Items to Restore page, click Next.
9. On the Completing the Certification Authority Restore Wizard, click Finish.
10. In the Certification Authority Restore Wizard dialog box, click Yes.
11. Verify that Certificate Services starts successfully.
Was this article helpful?